Getting started with HSA event organizing
Basic Event Organizing
Please feel free to ask a a member Leadership Council for assistance at any time!
1. First, you need an idea. If you've already got one, skip to Step 2. If you don't, you can find lots of great ideas in our Field Trip Ideas section.
Basic Information Needed From Site Contact
Date of event:
Cost per child:
Cost per adult:
Free for children under ___ years of age
Target age range or grade level:
May younger siblings attend?
*Site needs full payment for all participants by:
*Site will not accept changes to registration numbers or issue payment refunds after:
*Note: Set a payment deadline for a day or two before the day you need to pay the site for everyone. Homeschool Adventures recommends that you cancel the registration of anyone who fails to pay by the payment deadline. See Payments for more information about ensuring you are fully reimbursed by everyone.
3. Decide how you'll accept registrations. The easiest method to set up is to accept all registrations via email. That method is included in the HSA Event Notice template below. Other methods are covered under Advanced Organizing
We suggest you begin the subject line with “HSA EVENT: …” to distinguish your Homeschool Adventure event from all the homeschool class announcements (and other non-HSA events) that are also announced on the HSAdventures Yahoo Group.
You may use the template below for your email announcement, but feel free to delete fields, add fields and rearrange information to suit your needs!
HSA Event Notice
Name of Event:
Date of Event:
Time of Event:
Description of Event:
Cost per child/student: $
Cost per adult/educator: $
Free for under __ years of age.
Target age range:
Can younger siblings attend?
To register, send an email with the following information
Number of Children:
Number of Adults:
Number of Siblings Under __:
Please make your check payable to YOUR NAME and mail it to YOUR ADDRESS.
Cancellation Info: If your circumstances change and you find that are unable to attend, please let the organizer know as soon as possible. No refunds will be issued after the cancellation deadline. If you find that you are unable to attend on the day of the event, please let the organizer know as soon as possible.
Additional Event Information: (if any)
5. Track registrations and payments received in whatever manner works best for you: paper and pencil, text file, Excel worksheet, Word table, Yahoo Group Database, HomeschoolRecess Field Trip, etc. You'll find advice on different methods for doing this in the Advanced Organizing section
6. Contact the site by their deadline date with final numbers and make your payment to them. Again, Homeschool Adventures strongly recommends that you cancel the registration of anyone who failed to pay by the payment deadline.
7. Optional but quite helpful: Send your paid registered participants an event reminder three to seven days before the event. The easiest way to do this is to forward your HSA Event Notice adding a note to the effect of, “You registered for this event that is happening this week.”
You'll find more advice on event reminders in the Advanced Organizing section.